Monday, May 10, 2010

My first thoughts on the Kagan nomination, and a plea for information

In a post below, my blogmate sagely anticipates a coming meme amongst those Republicans opposing the Kagan nomination.  He's no doubt correct, as most Republicans are now hard-wired to combat President Obama at every turn.  That being said, I'm not sure that I'm exactly thrilled about the President's choice.

It's not that she hasn't been a judge.  Actually, I kind of like that about her.  It's not that she's got some gossamer-thin connection to Goldman Sachs.  I'm concerned about her deference to executive power, and what that may well portend for important issues of personal liberty and police power.  I haven't found anything that speaks directly to her thoughts on Miranda, search and seizure, confrontation, etc.  Anyone know anything regarding her stance on these issues concerning liberty?

1 comment:

n said...

You're not the only one with that concern. In fact, some think that was a selling point for Obama. Yes, the link is to FOXNews.com. Yes the author is pushing a book. Take it with a grain of salt, but I thought it was interesting that you seem to share at least that one observation.